Please take a moment to fill out this form. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
Hardware Configuration and Definition (HCD) for z/OS
AWS Training Pass
Take advantage of flexible training options with the AWS Training Pass and get Authorized AWS Training for a full year.
Learn to work with the Hardware Configuration Definition (HCD) function for z/OS, and to plan and initiate dynamic reconfiguration of your zSeries hardware environment. Learn to use the HCD dialogs of z/OS to create an Input/Output (I/O) configuration and dynamically alter the I/O configuration. Learn about the creation of an I/O Configuration Dataset (IOCDS) and various reports that HCD can build. Use a z/OS system to reinforce lecture topics and to practice working with the HCD dialogs. Hands-on lab projects may be done in teams depending on the number of attendees and location.
- Describe new zSeries processor technology
- Code new zSeries processors (z9 to z196)
- Code FICON channels and FICON CTCs
- Code Coupling Facilities (CF) and CF links
- Code cascaded FICON Directors
- Create an IODF work file on a z processor from scratch
- Use CHPID mapping tool to create a validated work IODF
- Use work IODF and create a production IODF
- Perform Dynamic I/O changes on a real z/OS system
- Build a LOADxx parmlib member for initial program load (IPL)
- View configuration graphically
- Create appropriate configuration reports
This course is for people who are responsible for maintaining the I/O configuration contained in the input/output data files (IODFs) and input/output configuration data sets (IOCDs) at their z/OS installation.
- A basic knowledge of z/OS and I/O configuration
You should have:
This knowledge can be developed on the job, or by taking Fundamental System Skills in z/OS (ES10A).
- Unit 1: HCD introduction
- Unit 2: IOCP and MVSCP macro review
- Unit 3: HCD dialog
- Unit 4: LPAR and logical control unit concepts
- Unit 5: OSAs, OSA/ICC and HiperSockets
- Unit 6: Review of zSeries hardware
- Exercise 1: Overview of lab environment
- Exercise 2: HCD familiarity
- Unit 7: zSeries I/O architecture: Logical channel subsystems
- Unit 8: Advanced DASD concepts: EAV/PAV and multiple subchannel sets
- Unit 9: FICON, FICON CTCs, and FICON directors
- Exercise 3: Coding a zSeries 2817
- Exercise 4: Adding FICON directors to your configuration (optional)
- Exercise 5: Incremental migration from IOCP deck (optional)
- Unit 10: HCD implementation and migration
- Unit 11: IPL and LOADxx member
- Unit 12: Dynamic I/O reconfiguration
- Unit 13: z196 HCD and using CMT
- Exercise 6: Building a LOADxx member
- Exercise 7: Perform dynamic I/O
- Unit 14: FICON CTCs for sysplex
- Unit 15: HCD and Parallel Sysplex
- Exercise 8: Coding a 2817 using the CMT
- Exercise 9: Coding CF coupling links
- Exercise 10: Coding sysplex FICON CTCs
When you complete the Instructor-Led version of this course, you will be eligible to earn a Training Badge that can be displayed on your website, business cards, and social media channels to demonstrate your mastery of the skills you learned here.Learn more about our IBM z/OS Badge Program →
- Duration: 16 Hours
- Delivery Format: Classroom Training, Online Training
- Price: 1,630.00 USD
Self-Paced Training Info
Learn at your own pace with anytime, anywhere training
Course Added To Shopping Cart
Self-Paced Training Terms & Conditions
Sorry, there are no classes that meet your criteria.Please contact us to schedule a class.
STOP! Before You Leave
Save 0% on this course!
Take advantage of our online-only offer & save 0% on any course !
Promo Code skip0 will be applied to your registration
To view the cart, you can click "View Cart" on the right side of the heading on each page