Please take a moment to fill out this form. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
Advanced Parallel Sysplex Operations and Recovery Workshop
AWS Training Pass
Take advantage of flexible training options with the AWS Training Pass and get Authorized AWS Training for a full year.
This course describes advanced operator actions to implement new policies, coupling facilities, structures and sysplex related operational enhancements. It diagnoses problems and demonstrates recovery techniques in these areas. These include:
- Identifying HMC problems and recovery, including IPL problems during system and sysplex activation
- Recovery with and without SFM policies
- Couple data set failures
- CF and CF structure failures
Labs are provided to submit jobs to format CDS, define policies, start and verify that they are working as desired, identify any policy change pending conditions and correct as needed. Labs take students through the required steps to implement ECS, GRS star, JES checkpoint, Operlog, Logrec, and SM duplexing on the CF. Students will also identify potential problems during the implementation process, identify various CDS and other sysplex related problems. Students will remove a CF from the sysplex as in the case of required maintenance to a CF; add a new CF to the sysplex and perform system and CF failure and recovery scenarios.
If you are enrolling in a Self Paced Virtual Classroom or Web Based Training course, before you enroll, please review the Self-Paced Virtual Classes and Web-Based Training Classes on our Terms and Conditions page, as well as the system requirements, to ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements for this course.
This course is one step in the following Learning Journey:
- Use HMC classic or tree UI, create HMC groups, load profiles, and
- provide tips and recommendations for HMC use
- Initialize sysplex system images and identify problems reported via system consoles and the HMC
- Identify sysplex components, define resource and data sharing differences in relation to recovery options, discuss various configurations and system duplexing
- Perform related display commands to identify sysplex status and recovery actions for IPL problems during system activation
- Manage couple data sets, format CDS, define policies, and start and verify they are working as desired
- Implement configurations supporting GRS STAR, JES checkpoint, and ECS using structures in the CF
- Identify couple data set failures, CF and CF structure failures
- Identify policy change pending conditions and correct as necessary
- Remove a CF from the sysplex as in the case of required maintenance to a CF
- Identify and correct problems during structure rebuild process such as insufficient storage in the CF
- Add a new System z CF to the sysplex dynamically using a sysplex wide dynamic activation with Hardware Configuration Definition (HCD) facility
- Perform recovery procedures with and without SFM policies
- Define Server Time Protocol implementation, terminology, and supporting
This course is for operations personnel, tech support staff, and system programmers who are directly involved in the operation, system support, and software support of their Parallel Sysplex environment.
- experience with the HMC and the Parallel Sysplex environment
- attended some previous sysplex class. Any one of the following Parallel Sysplex courses will provide the needed skill: Parallel Sysplex Implementation Workshop (ES42G) or (ES73G).
You should have:
- Unit 1: Parallel Sysplex overview Exercise 1: Setup for remote lab access
- Exercise 2: HMC 2.n.n navigation hints and tips: Classic and tree UI (optional)
- Exercise 3: Groups and profiles for sysplex activation Exercise 4: MCS console setup through OSA ICC Exercise 5: Using commands to determine sysplex status
- Unit 2: Sysplex initialization, CDS usage, and recovery
- Exercise 5: Using commands to determine sysplex status (continued) Exercise 6: ECS and dynamic GRS STAR activation
- Exercise 7: JES2 reconfiguration
- Exercise 8: CDS mismatch during plex activation
- Unit 3: Managing CFs, structures, policies, and recovery
- Exercise 9: Logger
- Exercise 10: CFRM change pending conditions and recovery options for FP connections
- Exercise 11: VTAM and ISTGENERIC demo Exercise 12: Managing coupling facilities
- Unit 4: Dynamic CF implementation, SFM, and ARM
- Exercise 12: Managing coupling facilities (continued) Exercise 13: Add new CF and manage reset profile Exercise 14: Implementing SM duplexing
- Exercise 15: Sysplex failure management
- Exercise 16: SFM storage reconfiguration (optional)
- Machine lab optional exercises 17 and 18
- Unit 5: STP, DB2, and structure recovery and removal overview
When you complete the Instructor-Led version of this course, you will be eligible to earn a Training Badge that can be displayed on your website, business cards, and social media channels to demonstrate your mastery of the skills you learned here.Learn more about our IBM z/OS Badge Program →
Self-Paced Training Info
Learn at your own pace with anytime, anywhere training
Course Added To Shopping Cart
Self-Paced Training Terms & Conditions
Sorry, there are no classes that meet your criteria.Please contact us to schedule a class.
STOP! Before You Leave
Save 0% on this course!
Take advantage of our online-only offer & save 0% on any course !
Promo Code skip0 will be applied to your registration
To view the cart, you can click "View Cart" on the right side of the heading on each page